Sunday, April 20, 2008

Wine Food Pairing ...what goes with Turducken?

Wine Food Pairing ...what goes with Turducken? Summary :

Adventures and challenges of Wine Food Pairing. What, you ask, is a Turducken....and why would I want or need to do Wine Food Pairing with it?

-----
Wine Food Pairing ...what goes with Turducken? by Denise Clarke

What, you ask, is a Turducken....and why would I want or need to do Wine Food Pairing with it? The answer to these questions is not for the faint of heart!

About 4 years ago I was watching a Thanksgiving cooking show and perked up my ears when I heard something about stuffing your turkey with a duck and then stuffing the duck with a chicken…..hence Turducken. Holy Cow, my new Thanksgiving tradition was born! I really didn't get all the particulars, but I knew the internet wouldn't fail me, and it didn't…….I found several methods and recipes for putting this mouth watering treat on my table. The main focus for preparing this delight is de-boning everything….everything, that is, except for the turkey drumsticks which gives you a lovely presentation! Well, I can tell you that I had never done this before…. fortunately life has blessed me with an Austrian man in my life that seems to be able to do almost anything….including de-boning various fowl!

The key to all of the preparation is to start very early in the morning and to begin drinking immediately XanGoSecco's! This refreshing beverage is champagne with mangosteen juice. YUM! OK, now that you are "fortified" you can begin with all the bone removal mess. In addition, prepare whatever stuffing you choose (and there are many!). We chose bread crumbs, mushrooms, onions, celery with some tasty herbs and then a sprinkling of cooking sherry between the birds. Did I mention that you must continue to sip your XanGoSecco's lest your courage fail you!

This procedure really does require at least 2 people to stuff, hold and sprinkle. Our best time is 2 hours and 15 minutes, but we are looking to shave 5 minutes off that for next Thanksgiving by opening two bottles of champagne before we begin the prep.

Now that the birds are de-boned, stuffed, sprinkled and sewn together….did I forget to mention the sewing part? You MUST remember to have your turkey needle and string ready to stitch those bad boys up or you will really have a mess! Next you pop the whole thing into a 225 degree oven for about 10 to 12 hours….give or take depending on the weight of the turducken.

While we patiently wait for the "birth" of our meal, friends and neighbors begin to arrive…..Turducken's serve a lot of people so plan for a full house. My Austrian carved 1" slices and placed them on the platter…the aroma was mouthwatering and the presentation of the layered, marbled bird was second to none.

We chose a Chilean Cabernet Sauvignon and a Pinot Grigio from Italy to pair with our meal….both were wonderful compliments to the poultry! Once again personal tastes enter in to your choices.

As I always say, Wine Food Pairing is an adventure and a challenge that you need to meet head on…. so, go forth brandishing your carving knife, be brave and tackle a turducken for your next Thanksgiving dinner! CHEERS!



Denise Clarke has been passionate about Wine Food Pairing for many years....to follow her blog go to:
http://www.winefoodpairing.blogspot.com
or to go to her website at:
http://www.wine-food-pairing.com



Article Source: ArticleRich.com

-----
Statistically Improbable Phrases In Wine Food Pairing ...what goes with Turducken?:
wine food pairing, wine and food, wine, turducken,wine blogs, wine forums

Your Food and Drink